(mostly Unaligned district)
Azure District is Sasserine’s true waterfront. Consisting of two sections, Azure District also houses the majority of the city’s slums and lowerclass citizens, although they aren’t quite as desperate a catch as those forced to live in Shadowshore. The western section of Azure District is primarily concerned with the city’s internal waterways, while the eastern section is home to the city’s booming whaling industry.
Azure District’s representative nobles are the Islarans. The family has held the post of harbormaster for many generations, although rumor holds that old Keltar Islaran’s getting on in years and none of his children particularly want the job when he passes on. Rumors also hold that the Kellani family has designs on this post, but with relations between these two families being as choppy as they are these days, it’s unlikely that such a transfer will occur while old Keltar still lives.
Pets and Guardians
Whereas the majority of Sasserine’s trade occurs in the Merchant District, Azure District remains a close second. In particular, the trade of exotic animals is a lucrative (and often dangerous) facet of this district’s East Market. Most of these creatures are destined for lives in the north as pets, but a few of them are more dangerous. This trade is one of the few the Azure Watch monitors (after a particularly tragic incident involving an escaped wyvern)—as a result, the black market and smuggling trade for dangerous animals does a booming business.
The Azure Watch is concerned primarily with keeping Sasserine’s whaling operations running smoothly. Whalers are generally allowed to get away with more as a result; the watch figures that they’re at sea most of the time anyway. An arrested whaler is almost always returned to his captain’s ship for punishment or confi nement there rather than taken to the district’s undersized jail. Members of the Azure Watch tend to be a bit more strict with other criminals, but transfer them to Sunrise Garrison if they require long-term punishment.
If you’re from Azure District, you probably spent a fair portion of your youth at sea. You have friends or family that work in the whaling industry, and may have spent some time on a whaling ship yourself. You likely worship at the Azure Cathedral, a temple dedicated to Avandra, Melora, and Tiamat. Alternately, you could worship all three. Clerics who worship all three of these deities may be of any alignment.Notable NPC’s
- Belrain Daskeral (male eladrin): The high-priest of the Azure Cathedral, Belrain is a soft-spoken man who tends the district church along with his twelve acolytes. Belrain is known to have a powerful temper.
- Captain Shadwik (male orc): Master of the Whaler’s Guild, Captain Shadwik is a gruff , grizzled man who made his fortune as a whaler. Now too old to captain his own ship, he represents the whalers and fisherfolk of the city.
- Heldrath Kellani (female elf): Matroness of the Kellani family, Heldrath was once an adventurer (some say a pirate) who is thought to have not quite abandoned the questionable pastimes of her youth. She is rumored to be quite ill.
- Keltar Islaran (male halfling): Lord of Islaran Manor and representative of Azure District on the Dawn Council, Keltar is an aging noble whose children have either gone missing or have no real interest in continuing the family’s traditional post as harbormaster.
- Maklash Gristwhistle (male dwarf): This obese and almost maniacally cheerful dwarf runs the Dredger’s Guild, the organization charged with keeping Sasserine’s waterways and canals clear of obstructions and filth.
- Rowyn Kellani (female half-elf): Eldest daughter of the Kellani family, and the most likely to take over control of the estate when her mother Heldrath passes on.
Azure District Locations
Taverns, inns, brothels: Shops: Nobles, watch & temples: Guilds & trade companies: 5: The Empty Grave (tavern) 2: Best Bait and Deserts (bait and bakery) 1: Islaran Manor (district representative) 3: Dredger’s Guildhall 6: The Bloodthirsty Pelican (tavern/inn) 4: Nate’s Nets (nets, fine fishing equipment) 7: Kellani Manor (minor noble) 9: Pearldiver’s Guildhall 10: The Gull’s Nest (brothel) 8: Bizwor’s Balms (medicine and seasickness cures) 16: Azure Cathedral (district church) 11: Ropemaker’s Guildhall 14: The Mermaid’s Secret (brothel) 13: East Market (general goods, seafood, animals) 12: Azure Garrison 18: Finback Whaling 17: The Sasserine Sleigh Ride (tavern/brothel) 15: Whaleworks (fine scrimshaw art) 25: Azure Lighthouse 19: Inker’s Guildhall (tattoo artists) 21: The Drunken Dolphin (whaler tavern) 20: Sasserine Whaling 22: Whaler’s Guildhall 23: Red Sea Whaling 24: Fishmonger’s Guildhall